Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gossip

Today over lunch, Diane was telling me about her family's fights and I was just so envious of how she was so light-hearted and even laughing about them.
I thought about the word "composure" and the advice to not take myself so seriously.
I want to be like that. I want to be slow to offense.
I wondered if me being quick to anger is natural, but even so, the path to being forgiving can be cultivated.
So I'm starting today.
It's not a special day, but I think the day you choose to be faithful to a resolution is always a good day.
I thought about my influences and the friends I mix with, and I'm always grateful to be able to decide who I want to hang out with. I'm so honoured it's my God-given right to be able to do that.


I want to surround myself with friends who will always choose to be the bigger man, who will never badmouth a person even though an injustice has been done to hurt them.
Friends who are humane; friends who are imperfect because we all judge but are ultimately forgiving.
Friends who will be loyal not just in front of me but behind my back as well.
I used to wonder if I'm simply analysing people and the things they say, but I realise I've been focusing too much on the bad sides of people and not enough of their good.
Our tongues are double-edged swords.


Also, sometimes I please people too much.
I need to learn to be true to myself, but without misunderstanding, being unforgiving or hurting others as well.
And I can do all that just fine by being peaceful and accepting about things. 

"Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness."

"For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
- James 3:5-18


Realised that using the F word incites a fiercer anger in me compared to not using it.
I don't want to forget that I'm a Christian either, no matter where I am or who I'm with.
I like this line alot: Because the ones that mind don't matter, and the ones that matter don't mind.
Peace ^^v

No comments:

Post a Comment