Thursday, January 19, 2012

Inner Child



"Say 'please' and you can have that Red."
Adult talk.

My inner child was lied to.
That pretty girl who sat by the window in kindergarten class
Wouldn't pass the crayon.

"I guess we're not friends anymore"
She fluttered her lashes at me and I watched her flowery lips move
"We will not be friends today,
Then friends again tomorrow,
Then after that you'll be my enemy like today,
E.T.C."
It sounded ingenious,
so I swore with my pinky
And proceeded to poke her in the eye
Which eventually made me cry

My inner child was lied to.
And yet my inner child believed:
Believed she could be the most 
Loyal of all puppies when she wanted to
And a baby iceberg whenever she pleased

But there was a lack of Red
So the puppy grew into a dog then into a wolf
And finally a full grown beast,
Its horns raised to the shyest crescents and virgin fangs
Slicing the heatstroke wind
The beast honed an affection so ferocious,
That outlasted the fiercest of summers
So she wiped out the Atlantic winter
And let a thousand Titanics pass by,
Unharmed
So every Jack and Rose story
Could be lived to be told without any tears
So every blue sapphire was never mistaken for anything except it's own kind;
It could finally be saved
And the worth in it is that
it is rare.

My inner child was conned.
With rarity comes opportunity and
With opportunity comes the trying, the erring
And the Red.
I'm always left wondering who taught me the basics of anger
Because I couldn't have got here on my own
I hope you like this crayon,

This is my angered love for you.
The attention spent on you - worthwhile
The heart wasted on truth - correct
And the beast with her galled eyes - woman/girl

My inner child was lied to,
But my inner child only wants to be held.
That is all.

--
a little something i wrote on the bus t school
bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment