Wednesday, January 12, 2011

nat identity wild

I was walking home with a burning question in mind: What does it mean to be a Singaporean?
I am troubled, I really am, and am crazy desperate - I am willing to go on an epic journey to find the answer.

Today we had a dialogue session with Miss Koh Lin Net, the Deputy Secretary of Trade and Industry and I asked if she had (1) any encouragement to spur us students on to nurturing our sense of belonging and identity to this country and (2) if it's worth the fight.

She answered that our involvement definitely makes a difference and that we should have more confidence in our society and who we are because as long as we are in touch with the rest of the globalised world, our society and people remain relevant and of value.
She voiced that she understands that we, as youths, have the tendency to feel overwhelmed and inundated by expectations and the pressure of "surrendering who we really are".
Miss Koh also said that we should feel proud of what we're good at and if we are experts at something, the question is, is it valued? She has a very strong stand when it comes to being excellent in all that we do, whether it is small and intricate or giganormous in nature.

mm I personally agree with what she has shared because I think that she sensed our insecurity as Singaporean youths through my question (which is probably why it sounded like a social workshop when it came to the 'confidence' part and yes it's understandable because she genuinely cares for us youths) and how we must be sure and excellent of our niche areas in order to make our mark in a globalised world - but I am torn apart between the idea of fighting for one's own glory and bringing glory to one's own country :/

Shanice's question was something about pop culture and what is being done to curb its effect on our society. I don't remember the answer she gave but I remember agreeing with Shanice that the government does not know enough about the severity of the loss of our national identity and how it is affecting us youths. I feel as if the importance of it all has been swept under the rug and nobody thinks about it anymore.

(I ripped this off an article online)Then again:
"Already, it warned of the temptation to reduce a social system expanding in its richness and complexity to its supposed identity. In this regard, if Levi-Strauss left us a lesson, it was simply that the word "identity" applies to subjects, not to communities; it can be used in the plural, never in the singular. To forget that, to reduce a nation either to this collection of things in common or to this ossified catalogue of traits that are the two possible names of its supposed identity is to impoverish it, to kill it, all the while pretending to give it faith in its future."
This sentence has horrible grammar; it doesn't have any breaks but I'm lazy to rephrase it. So.
Deb and I have been discussing this topic (nerds FTW) and we've come to a conclusion that we're all imitating people that we find it hard to be who we really are. We're all chasing our different identities that we don't really know anymore. Ah but I don't think I wanna spend time finding identity in my country, I'd rather be found in Him.
Happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment