Sunday, July 14, 2013

Something good

Today something bad happened.
Today I burnt my hand after spilling boiling soup all over it.
I know it was boiling, because I saw a bubble pop in the bowl.
So after I left Place A where my hand got hurt, I, with bloodshot eyes, went to meet my mum at Holland Village.
As we stood outside Cold Storage, she looked at me quietly for awhile then asked, "Do you want to eat chicken wing? Four ninety-nine for five."
I almost cracked into a smile but realised that would've been very strange, so I shook my head and turned away. All I can say in my defense is that the reaction was natural to both of us eg. 1) I turn away 2) she does not get offended. It's probably due to the fact that we have an abrasive, love-hate mother and daughter relationship.

Before this very cute thing happened, I was furious.
I thought that my expectation of my mother was pretty acceptable (I think it's fine to expect, since she's your parent right?) I simply expected her to just pick me up from Place A and drive me home with her.
Then after I told her I had burned my hand though it wasn't the physical I was upset about but rather the emotional, she sent me texts that were unfortunately, off tangent.
Though I can safely say that the incident was very short-lived and it did not cause much suffering between her and I.
I realised that when my mum makes 'mistakes' like that, I have to give her another chance.
I have to let go of my expectations of her, even though it's perfectly normal to have them, and know that she tries to make me feel better or even compensate for how she misunderstood me before.
All through my bawling, my head went: I try so hard, why can't you see me trying?
Now as I look back, I think my mum has been trying all her life.
"I burn, I break, I try to do right."

She also gave me stellar advice when we met.
What I love about my mother is that she reserves her pride for her own sake when she has to.
Perhaps that is something I have to learn, since the both of us are quite similar in terms of being quite self-sacrificing when it comes to matters of the heart. And sometimes we do it wrongly, but the motive is there.

Today I feel that I am past misunderstanding my mama.
I'm happy that the incident happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment