Saturday, July 27, 2013

peace of mind


Soundtrack: peace of mind - the jezebels
To be titled Peace of Mind, after Hayley Mary who has way less of an ego than noisy ass Williams.

--

I'm writing again.
Ink that seeps through the next page
Choosing the wrong pen, making the right mistake
My love is a bloodied river, with
Horses that rear their ugly heads
Charging me with a crime when I crowned you saint
Saint of my life, my all
When I lathered your face with my hair and saw you through
My perfume
My scent, my crown of glory
Here I am again writing you my sad poetry
That you never asked to read
Where "worship" was the word you skipped
Never sought to understand, never did find me
And I waited to be queen
Over a kingdom I lusted for
With a ruler I still adore

I sit here upon the throne I saved for myself,
The one true heir to my own joy, my happiness
But Loneliness is my advisor;
Your ghost cuts my hair
So I let these dead things grow
I let these old feelings fester
How could I have been serving two masters?

My people trudge the city like zombies
Hungry for fresh, wet, pink, meat
Ready to serve, to bow in defeat
To gorge on what's left:
They don't know how to wait.
They don't howl for me the way they do for you
Hurling their decay on your towering gates;
Borders we set up to kick them out, to separate
When I said I never want to see you again
When you said you had already lost me to the wind
So we hung our heads in honour of the pain -
But you were the prayer I prayed
The thief of all my days
How could a relationship not involve sex,
When conditional love was my finest asset?

My people, they don't remember the scent of my perfume
So now tell me, how may I get to you?

--

After I wrote this, I came back to my best friend telling me: "Jesus will never shortchange you." What a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment