Monday, August 4, 2014

I am growing quite wary of our current domestic helper.
Or maybe it's because I'm a pretty suspicious person.
By the way, as a disclaimer, we respect her and empathize with the fact that she has to wash a daily batch of laundry contributed by four persons living in this house excluding herself, cook, tend to the garden and clean the rooms.
Most days it's hot as hell outside and she wears long sleeves so she doesn't get bitten by insects when watering the plants.
She smiles and greets us good morning, which I guess I'm quite crappy at returning (I don't like talking in the mornings, neither will I whisper sweet nothings to my husband in bed when he wakes me up next time).
I guess she wants us to accept and to commend the work she has done. But my parents aren't the most encouraging people around. I mean, what for? In fact, they are more critical than anything else, and I am quite critical as well but I guess the difference between me and them is that I'd actually say "The food is nice today," or "Thanks Elma."
I try to not be so nice all the time though, because it gets to her head.
When we tell her she did something wrong, she dismisses us with an "Okay" and a smile, and does the same mistake AGAIN.
Her command of English is pretty weak, and she doesn't write things down even though we've told her umpteen times - just so she may remember what to do the next time and not commit the same mistake.
When I come home to find my things rearranged, I get all stressed and my mother just says, "you have to tell her." I wish someone could record the number of times I've told her not to do this and that, but she never gets the message. I'd rather speak to an answering machine.

I don't trust her.
It's been six months but I still can't warm up to her.
I want Johnna back.

No comments:

Post a Comment